The story so far
Lick is looking to be a force for change in the >$838.6bn global home decor market. Looking to transform the industry for its community and make a positive impact on our planet.
We’re a business that believes in building confidence in decorators. Seeing their bright ideas and making them happen because a small change in colour can have a huge impact on the way we feel.
The curated selection of paints, wallpapers, blinds and supplies are both easy-to-use and quick to inspire. For everyone from first-timers to grand designers. Gone are the days of too much choice or feeling like you’re doing it alone and messy, expensive sample pots. This is a fresh look for decorating.
For Lick, that means never putting the toolbox down when it comes to fixing the home decor industry’s environmental footprint. Today our packaging is 100% biodegradable but tomorrow our biodegradable plastic bags will be water-soluble. Today we use sustainably farmed bamboo in all our supplies, but tomorrow we’ll be using recycled paper in all our printed materials. We’re bringing our supply of paint tins to be produced in the UK and continuing our partnerships with 4ocean and One Tree Planted. For every tin sold, we remove 18g of plastic from the ocean and for every roll of wallpaper or blind sold we plant one tree. But like a renovation project – there’s always more we can do.
Here’s what we built in just one year:
- We’ve grown an online decorating community of 185,200 strong. Decorate with us, and you’re never alone.
- We’ve made over 30,000 houses feel like home.
- We’ve achieved a £5m revenue run-rate in 8 months, and 830% growth in the last 9 months alone
- We’ve processed over 165,000 units
- We’ve listened to our community and launched new categories and product extensions: eggshell and exterior paint; roller and Venetian blinds. Our community knows best.
- We’ve planted enough trees to cover over 72 football pitches and removed the equivalent of 122,504 plastic bottles from the ocean.
- We’ve changed all wooden supplies to bamboo as it’s kinder on the planet.
- We’ve collaborated with amazing talent within the home decor and design space: Natasha Coverdale, Jessica Russell Flint, Livingetc magazine and Kelly Hoppen. Forgive us for name-dropping.
- We’ve built a superb 28-person strong team, bringing in experience from Farfetch, Moo, ASOS, Charlotte Tilbury and Deliveroo in the process.
In June 2021, Lick raised a $23 million Series A round, led by OMERS Capital, with $1.4 million through crowdfunding. Not only was the oversubscribed campaign a huge success, rapidly hitting the target just 6 hours after going public, but it saw the highest ever percentage of female investors partake in a large raise (1million+) through equity crowdfunding platform Seedrs (54% of those who participated in the campaign identified as female). As testament to the strength of the community, we can’t wait to see what we can do together.
OMERS First Investment